Thursday, April 18, 2019

Ginger Cookie Recipe

Ginger Cookies
Ginger Cookies

Recipes haunt me like a bad smell in the refrigerator. You know what I mean, every time you open the refrigerator door you think, ‘gee something smells bad’ and promptly close the door. Eventually, you succumb to the smell, bend down, move containers around, until you find the culprit.


I often find recipes and think, ‘gee that looks good, I should try that.’ Usually, I leave the cookbook or magazine open for days or weeks in an obvious location so I have to look at it or move it around many times until finally I break down and try it. Now, if that recipe doesn't work (because believe it or not, there are many bad recipes out there) I take no mercy. Outcomes the black felt pen and the recipe ends up looking like an essay marked by a fastidious English Teacher.


I love to bake or to be honest, I love to eat my baking. Often there are recipes of cakes, cookies, muffins hanging around the kitchen. However, baking is like an add-on, it’s not a necessity for survival. With time so limited, everyday meals take priority. It’s only when there is a blip in the schedule, the add-on’s or baking can get done. In my case, it's often at 10pm at night. As everyone heads off to bed they are tormented with yummy smells coming from the kitchen. 

I made this recipe last week, and to my surprise, the cookies all disappeared in two days – and trust me, it wasn’t because of me.




Ginger Cookies
Ginger cookies rolled in sugar


Ginger Cookies

Makes about 20 cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
½ cup butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
¼ cup molasses
1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
3 tablespoons sugar, in a small bowl for rolling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


In a bowl combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger and set aside. 

In a Mixmaster or using a hand blender cream together butter, sugar, and egg until fluffy. Beat in molasses. 

Add flour mixture and blend well. 

Form dough into walnut-sized balls and roll in sugar. Drop onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet and lightly squish down. 

Bake for 10 minutes.

Looking for another cookie to bake?  


Try our Dad's Cookie Recipe  

Dad's Cookies
Dad's Cookies











Graham Cookies

Graham Cookies
Graham Cookies