Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Green Goddess Dressing With Avocado

Green Goddess Dressing

Many years ago I attended a friend’s wedding shower. Her mom was an excellent cook who made everything from scratch, even bread. I vividly remember enjoying this green dip and when I asked about the recipe, I was shocked to learn that it had anchovies. I now realize it was probably the Green Goddess Dressing, originating in San Francisco.

I learned about this dip while I was teaching a course this summer in Kamloops, B.C.  The whole class seemed to know about this infamous dip from the 70’s and 80’s, except me. I set out to recreate it myself. Because it was green and I was doing a Newsletter on avocados, I thought I’d add one to the recipe.  Here’s what I came up with! It works great as a salad dressing, a dip with raw veggies, a topping on roasted veggies or even with French fries.  

1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 large ripe avocado
1/4 cup tarragon leaves
1/4 cup parsley
1/4 cup green onion, green part only
2 teaspoons anchovy paste
1 clove garlic
3/4 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup 2% Greek yogurt
Salt and pepper to taste

Put all ingredients into a small food processor and blend.  Keep in the refrigerator and use within two days.

No comments: