Monday, January 28, 2019

Apple Muffin Recipe

After being told my cholesterol was too high, I set out in search for alternative solutions.  My quest led me to a faded pink waiting room.  I checked in with the busy receptionist then sat and waited, watching the streams of people coming and going.

When it was my turn to meet the "doctor," I was ushered into a poorly lit office the size of a small walk-in closet.  I sat on a utilitarian grey office chair surrounded by piles of books, papers and magazines.  Even the examining bed was converted to a table top.  The slim doctor bounced into the room like a wind-up toy.  Excited and full of energy, his arms flailed at the prospect of sharing his wisdom.  


"Doctors tell you to eat poison," he stated in an evangelical way.


"They talk and talk - where's the proof?  No proof!" he stated.


"Apples is what you need.  You eat two apples a day - two apples!" he screeched.


He sent me home with his advice and a brown bag full of mysterious vitamins.


Apples do contain soluble fibre which helps remove blood cholesterol from your body.  They also contain phytochemicals.  These are protective or disease preventing chemicals.  Phytochemicals allegedly help prevent heart disease and certain types of cancers and may improve lung function for asthmatics.  Apples also contain vitamin C.

Since my enlightening visit, I've been eating apples every way you can imagine: apple muffins, apples in my salad, apples in my oatmeal, apple cake, apple coleslaw and of course, apple crisp.  Apples do keep well in the refrigerator, so there is no excuse for not living up to my new motto...two apples a day, that's the minimum!



Apple Muffins
Apple Muffins



Apple Muffins

An easy muffin to make that's super tasty.  If you don't have buttermilk, squeeze 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice into 1/2 cup milk and let sit for 10 minutes. 

Makes 12

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 large apple, finely diced
1/3 cup golden raisins
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Add apples and raisins and toss to coat.  In a small bowl whisk together eggs, oil and buttermilk.  Add to flour mixture and stir until just blended.  Spoon into muffin cups and bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments: